MEATLOAF ROLL RECIPE
There’s meatloaf and then there’s Meatloaf. At the Pit, We Roll it, Grill it, and then Eat it. It’s as simple as that.
THE INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
- Ground Chuck 80/20 – 5 lbs.
- Bacon – 1 lb. regular sliced (pork belly style)
- Yellow Onion – ½ cup, diced
- Celery – ½ cup, diced
- Cheese – 8 ounce block, shaved
- Marinara Sauce – to taste (substitute steak sauce or your favorite sauce)
- SPG – to taste
- Bring grill temperature up to 275-300 degrees Fahrenheit, with coals offset for indirect cooking.
- Place bacon opposite hot coals to smoke for one hour. Do not overcook the bacon.
- Remove bacon after one hour and chop.
- Dice onion and celery.
- Shave desired amount of cheese.
- Wet down a cutting board with water or beer so meat mixture won’t stick.
- Put ground chuck on the cutting board and knead like pizza dough until it is ½ inch thick. Even edges to make it square shape for rolling.
- Sprinkle meat with SPG to taste.
- Brush on a layer of marinara sauce.
- Apply a layer of onions, celery, bacon, and shaved cheese.
- Lift front edge of ground chuck and begin to roll front to back. Be sure to work the sides to keep the toppings inside. Form it into a uniform roll.
- Place opposite hot coals for indirect cooking.
- Apply a layer of marinara on top with three slices of uncooked bacon.
- Cover grill and allow to cook for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Remove grill cover and apply another layer of shaved cheese to the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover grill and cook until cheese is melted and the internal temperature is 155 – 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature.
- Remove meatloaf from grill and rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice meatloaf into serving size pieces.
- Serve on a plate with baked beans, potato salad, or corn on the cob.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!!
Recipe from http://bbqpitboys.com/